Tuesday 31 January 2012

You would not believe this place!

January 28, 1030

It's hard to imagine that just yesterday we were hungry, tired, and in Mongu.

Yesterday, we woke up early to meet a couple of minibuses that took us to the Mongu bus station. I am certain that I speak for most of us when I say that we weren't hoping to return there so soon. It's a muddy bustling place with plenty of people asking for tickets (which we never have).

We boarded our bus (essentially a less mini minibus) and took off toward Kafue (I'm not terribly sure how to spell it but, phonetically, it is cuh-FOO-ee). Kafue is this large park and reserve that we drove through on our way from Lusaka to Mongu. Beyond that, I didn't know much about it. I had heard whispers that there was good food where we were going but all I knew for sure that it was the location of our much anticipated safari.

After several hours of driving, we pulled into the long driveway of the lodge. I was giddy. We hadn't even started our safari and we were already seeing animals! The less mini minibus drove us to the end of the driveway and the lodge came into view. Phenomenal. The lodge is this huge building that looks akin to the many huts that we saw on the way.

Upon entering, there is a modest reception area with some local jewelery and gifts. As we turned left, we encountered an open-air seating area, a bar, and to the right, a two floor seating area. It's hard to convey just how amazing it is. All of it is covered but open at the same time. To the left of the two storeys, there is a pair of long tables with enough seating for all of us. Behind, a counter for the many buffets to come. Further yet, a very natural-looking pool with reclined wooden sunbathing chairs and a smaller pool (hottub?) next to that.

Perhaps the best yet was the view. As I walked onto the lower floor seating area, the river opened up beneath and in front of me. A wide blue river, water lazily flowing along, with a small dock below. Across, green foliage as far as the eye can see. Blue sky, hot shining sun, and dollops of clouds above.

Finally, we were in paradise! Everyone flitted around looking at the view, the pool, everything. The owners introduced themselves and the staff and invited us to enjoy a complimentary drink from the bar. Climbing to the second floor to view the river while enjoying a Zambian dry cider was wonderful.

Lunch was served soon after and it was amazing. I felt as though I had been on Survivor for 30 days and was being rewarded with a feast. Gooey, cheesey lasagna, many variations of fresh salad, veggies, and homemade buns. As much as we wanted. I could hardly believe my luck.

We had a few hours before our first chance at a safari (each is optional, but I intended on taking as many as I could). We lazed on the sun chairs, splashed in the pool, and took every opportunity to relax.

At mid-afternoon, many of us hopped into the covered boat and the speed boat and went across the river. At the other side, there were four safari jeeps, each capable of holding ten passengers. We climbed aboard and headed out for our first safari. The sun was out, the animals were roaming, and we snapped many many shots.

Before the sun set, we pulled over and jumped out of the Jeep. Our guide popped open beers and pop for us with meat and cheeses. Even the safari was luxurious! We soon re-boarded and drove back through the sunset.

In our room, Esther and I felt like we were in the lap of luxury. Our little house is a circular building with a couple of chairs and what I can only describe as two princess beds. Complimentary tea and cookies to boot. At the other end, a bathroom with a really neat shower. Everything is so pretty - even our front door has a very large hand carving of an impala. We also spotted two warthogs casually walking by our front door!

The next morning, since a number of us signed up for the early game drive, we received a wake-up call (someone actually knocking at our door!) and a flask of hot water for tea. With thirty minutes until 0530, we zipped around to get ready and went to the lodge. On our way, what did we run into? A hippo! Apparently, he is a rogue hippo that may have been kicked out from the group and now hangs around the lodge. He even snuggles up to the boats at night!

Back across the river and into the Jeeps. In all, we have now spotted hippos, warthogs, elephants (a little baby too!), lions (absolutely incredible! I love kitties!), impalas, heartabeasts, a leopard, zebras, baboons, and lots of neat birds. It's so incredible!

Now, back at our room, I'm sitting on my comfy bed typing out these latest adventures. And those two warthogs just walked by again! Esther, Jackie, Sylvia, and I are booked for an afternoon river cruise. How lovely!

(Book report: I've now finished the first two Hunger Game books, Ken Jennings' Maphead, The Cat's Table, and I'm currently reading Delirium. Nice not to have to read textbooks!)

Almost forgot! Breakfast today was scrambled eggs, back bacon, sausages, roasted potatoes with herbs, lightly baked tomatoes, freshly baked toasted bread with homemade jams, cereals, yogurt, fruit salad, meusli, and orange juice. I am SO excited for lunch!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet! I'm sure I would love this place too. The rogue hippo and I would become friends without a doubt. I hear The Lion King music when I read this blog. Sounds surreal Joel! Glad you're eating like a king too!!
    Missing you terribly.

    ReplyDelete