Wednesday 25 January 2012

A Bug's Life (is very short in our house)

I feel as if I haven't given you a real idea of just how many bugs there are. Here are a few stories to help you:

Flat Spiders: Flat spiders are tricksters. They are these arachnids that grow a legspan of up to the size of your palm. They live above our ceiling and journey into our house through the cracks at any given time. When we first saw one above our front door, we were all convinced that it was smushed. Jackie was the only one who wasn't fooled and her inkling proved true when the spider was gone the next day. Our naming scheme for flat spiders is 'Carlos' followed by the number of legs it has left. We've eliminated many Carli 8 and Carli 6. The only Carlos with immunity was the late Carlos 5. Carlos 5 was Esther and Nat's pet that enjoyed scurrying from their room to Sylvia and Jackie's. He was unfortunately (yeah right) killed during one of our evening massacres.

Big Poppa: A giant, hideous, hairy spider that lives above Sylvia's bed. We've only seen him a few times and only a couple of his legs, at that. We're certain that he's gigantic and I've attempted to poison him twice. He remains at large.

Harry: Susie and Rachel's pet. I don't know much except he's wanted dead in their house.

The bathroom: Our bathrooms are usually safe havens from the insect onslaught; however, Esther discovered that this isn't always the case. Last night, she went for a shower (in a clean room) and emerged only to see a walking wall of insects. The room was promptly fumigated.

Night bugs: When night bugs arrive, we are generally okay with a few of them. They fly in through impossibly small holes and cracks and orbit the light bulbs. We then turn in for bed, pass a few hours, and then wake up to find small cemetaries beneath light fixtures. Yesterday was another unfortunate aberration from the norm. Several of our defenses fell at the same moment and our house was immediately filled with all sorts of hideous creatures.

Defenses: After seeing other houses putting up mosquito nets on their windows, we attempted this as well. Using duct tape and medical tape, we sparingly adhered them around our windows. The results were amazing and our evening bug load dropped dramatically. This meant that the windows could be wide open all night and we could enjoy sleep without the suffocating heat. Well, this is no longer an option. The defenses that I previously spoke of that fell were our windows. Heavy with bugs, the nets began to fall and insects poured out everywhere. The result is my window losing its net and I plan on duct taping it closed today. Sanity takes preference over comfort at this moment.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness... the bug situation sounds horrifying. I can just picture you with all these bugs around, freaking out!
    I had quite a visual on the net over the window sagging, full of bugs. Eeeek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Joel, I am Dan, Sylvia's Dad, using Judy's, (Sylvia's mums) gmail account. I will get around to setting up yet another gmail account in my name sooner or later.

    Thanks for the great updates and entertaining anecdotes. Knowing a couple of your room mates, and one of them very well; I can imagine that you have your hands quite full with insect control duties, among other things. Should some of those insects get through all of the barriers...we can only hope their bites are not life threatening!

    Judy and I both race to our computers every morning looking for your updates, and then on to the other blog to see what everyone else is up to. I bet you are finding your time is flying by quickly, or am I wrong?? Keep up the good work with the blogs, they are really enjoyed by many people you know, and I know for sure many, many other people you don't know! Good luck with the roomies, enjoy your work time, your learning time, and of course your leisure time to the fullest.

    Dan Eddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan!

      Sylvia isn't here with me at the moment but I know she's going to be excited to hear that you left a message! Being roommates with everyone has been fun and effortless. Truly, everyone else was on bug-killing duty for the first while but I've really come into my own. Sylvia is doing really well - she's on Female Ward this week which is a very challenging place to work. So far so good though!

      Thanks for commenting - it's nice to know that there are people reading!

      Delete
  3. Eddy & Judy, I'm like you, checking every chance I get to read these blogs. I'm so happy everyone is safe and having an experience of a life time there in Zambia.
    Sue
    (Joels Mum) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah so amusing, a huge hairy spider woulddd be living above sylvia's bed! Great writing joel! Miss you guys, hope you're having fun on the safari :) lots o love xo

    ReplyDelete