Friday 6 January 2012

Packing Day

Mulumele Basali ni Bana! (Good day ladies and gentlemen... I think!)

So today was Packing Day. Both our group and the Ghana group arrived on campus at 0900 and learned the abridged version of delivering a baby. Usually when we learn new skills, there can be a few weeks or months before we are able to practice it. It was a sobering reality check when I realized that some of us might just be putting that new skill to work in just a couple of weeks.

After that short lecture, the two groups broke off. Us Zambia folk were first to pack. We split into sorters and packers. As I headed into the sorting room with a few others, I saw just how much there was to sort. Let me put it this way: there are some 45-ish students going overseas each with one piece of medical luggage that is to way just under 50 lbs. By the end of our packing, everyone was full up and there were still things to be packed. I hope our planes have the muscle to carry us!

Here's a peak at the few things that I managed to fit into my luggage:

To be honest, I'm not terribly sure who the printer is for!

We had to keep a list of what we packed into each bag for Customs.

Once we finished packing, we went off to practice baby skills. The room was set up in stations with areas to practice emergency delivery, fundal massage (abdomen massage that causes the uterus to contract and reduce post-partum bleeding), infant resuscitation, and umbilical cord cutting. I am not the keenest when it comes to maternity but all of it was definitely interesting to learn.

Sylvia (my accountabilibuddy) and Fallon practising infant resuscitation.

He survived!

Our guest lecturer (a midwife) teaching Esther how to deliver a baby. The mannequin, Noelle, is a Sim (a simulated patient) that is capable of giving birth.

I have no idea what they're all looking at!

Hanging out at the end of the day.

As I said, it was a sobering experience to take in these skills. That, along with the fact that it was our last class, means that this is really happening! Some quads are leaving in just a few days. Sylvia and I are leaving on the Greyhound next Saturday, and my quad (Sylvia, Esther, and Jackie) are heading to London together. The whole group is then flying to Lusaka and then the adventure will truly begin! My heart feels like it's skipping beats just writing this - I am so excited!

Our lovely group!
Keep checking back! The real excitement begins on January 14.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love the photos too!
    I'm extremely excited for you as well and am really enjoying this blog so far. Feel like I'm going on this adventure with you. Well my heart is that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that I can sit in my living room and get to hear all about your adventures have a wonderful time! My heart is with all of you. Looking forward to more updates! Xo love Chelsea and Abby

    ReplyDelete