Friday 17 February 2012

Oasis: Disappointing as ever

Hello!

We just got back from Oasis.

Oasis, better known as oh-WASS-iss, is the de facto restaurant in Mongu. In Kelowna, we might say, "Hey, want to go out to a restaurant tonight?" In Mongu, however, you say, "Hey, want to go to Oasis tonight?"

There are many places to eat or grab take-away here. Some look like houses and others look like shacks. Oasis is the most restauranty of them all though. It has real tables and chairs, servers and plates, and everything.

Unfortunately, it isn't a good restaurant. I feel as though I am not doing them a terrible disservice by saying this because everyone in Mongu who is going to go there probably has already. Everyone from anywhere else will invariably visit it because it's the only real restaurant.

Now, you must be wondering what the problem with it is.

Firstly, the service is sketchy. The servers are nice enough but you frequently get something other than what you ordered. Today, Esther and I ordered a Coke and a Sprite. The first attempt at this was two Cokes. Esther said, "No, I ordered a Sprite". The server left and returned with a Sprite and a Fanta. I tried, "She ordered a Sprite but I ordered a Coke". On the third try, we found success.

Another issue is the menu. I have been to Oasis at least six times now and I have yet to be able to order a burger. Even though the burgers are featured on page one, some vital ingredient is always missing. Fortunately, I did manage to order a pizza once. It was delicious though it resembled a pizza only in its bread-like base.

Finally, and I know I've mentioned this in the past, but the bills never make sense. Even when we order the meals and the drinks all at once, we end up with between two and eight bills. They aren't separated by who ordered what or even at what time things are ordered. They're mixed up randomly with separate totals on each bill. Occasionally, the server will bring us a calculator so that we can figure it out ourselves. It's truly bizarre.

Oasis is perhaps the worst restaurant I've ever been to. And yet, of course, it is my favourite one here. The food is pretty decent (chicken souvlaki with mongu rice and rape!) and the antics always have us laughing. I just wish that somebody would film a hidden camera show because this place is just priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment