Tuesday 28 February 2012

Falling off cliffs

February 28

You are not going to believe what I did today.

We woke up early and were picked up by a safari vehicle to be driven to the gorge swing. When we arrived, we were treated to an incredible view: a deep gorge carved by where the Zambezi used to flow, now dry and full of trees and life.

Sylvia, Esther, Jackie, Susie, Rachel, Denee, and Sam were invited down to a lookout to learn the basics of what we were going to be doing. First, we were to rappel down a cliff, hike around and back up, take two turns at the flying fox, and then fall off a cliff twice (me attached to Esther, no less, haha).

With that, we walked some 150 meters to the rappelling wall. On the edge of the cliff was a small open structure with a metal trapped door on the edge that opened down to the vertical rock face. We were all outfitted with harnesses (either at the waist for traditional rappelling or full body for repelling pointing down), helmets, and received quick instructions. Although we had planned the order, I was chosen by the employees to go first. My stomach sunk right down. I could see how far down it was and I was incredibly scared! I was attached to the lines and was led to the very edge of the cliff. Breathe! Breathe! I gingerly leaned back, gaining trust in the harness, and took a few small steps down the open trapped door. Gripping my rope for dear life, I was encouraged to begin bouncing off the rock wall as I descended. Even though I knew that the rock was offering no safety, I was terrified to leave it. I took some small jumps anyway and continued my jerky descent. I kept looking down, feeling my organs threatening to drop out of me. Urrrrgh!

Once I was down, I sat down (my legs were shaking so much!) and watched experienced (and fearless) Esther as she (reverse) rappelled down the cliff. It was unreal! When she hit the bottom, we hiked for some twenty-ish minutes and made our way back up the mountain. There, we found the flying fox manned by some employees. We were suited up again and asked how we wanted to fly across it. Two options: one, in a seated position holding the rope, or two, attached by the back flying Superman style. Obviously, there was but one choice for me. When it was my turn, I climbed up a platform that looked like a very short runway. I was attached to the line and instructed to run as fast as I could and then jump off the cliff. Yes. Jump off the cliff. With as little conscious thought as I could managed, I took my position and 3, 2, 1, GO! I ran as fast as I could and leapt off the cliff. Arms and legs straight out, I took flight over the gorge. The ground dropped out immediately underneath me and, squinting, I could just manage to see my tiny shadow below. Gradually, I came to a stop, attached to a small metal line by just two points. A little scary but I was having too much fun to notice. I was reeled back and took advantage of a second opportunity to fly. This time, I had full trust in it and ran as fast as I possibly could. It was just the most fantastic feeling. It was something that I had only experienced in dreams - the chance to fly!

From there, it was time to get to the gorge swing. The gorge swing, which I was doing in tandem with Esther, is a long line that stretches across the gorge with another line that attaches in the middle. After suiting up yet again, we learned just how to fall safely. Attached at the waist, literally, we practiced half-squatting, leaning forward, bum out, heads down, lift toes, fall backwards. Heart racing! We were first to approach the swing. we were attached, said some last words to the camera, and shuffled over to the edge of the platform. It takes a lot of will power to stand with your heels off a cliff. A few more forgotten words were said by the employees and then we were already counting down. 3, 2, 1, lean back, and fall. Esther said that it was like committing suicide and it truly was. Eyes and mouth agape, no air entering or leaving, falling faster and faster but only seeing the rock wall blurring past. And then suddenly you're whipped backward and off over the trees. Just amazing.

We hiked again and returned for another jump. This time, we (well, me) were less afraid and more excited. We fell off the cliff for a second time and it was nothing short of phenomenal.

2 comments: