Thursday 9 February 2012

Kids

February 7

Esther and I just had a fantastic day.

Today, we were scheduled to go to this Catholic compound to help out with a feeding clinic and teach a small class.

We snagged a minibus after waiting for over half an hour in the sun (several full ones went by) and went off to Limulunga. We rode right into town and hopped out at the bus station. I knew from Nat's directions that we had to go to the end of the road and turn right at the fork. We did that only to discover that the road then breaks into three more directions. Unphased, Esther and I took another right and walked for a while.

It was only a few minutes later when we decided that we truly had no idea where to go. As always, when we asked a local, we learned that we had turned the exact wrong way. Remembering when we had tried to find the markets and everybody pointed us in a different direction, we phoned Jess. Fortunately, she knew exactly where we were and sent us right to the compound.

When we arrived, it was a bit of a trick finding the right building but of course we did (eventually!). We met up with Nurse Elizabeth, a retired nurse who now volunteers weekly for the feeding clinic. We tried to help where we could as the babies and caregivers came in for formula. The clinic runs to support babies who are orphaned, have mothers with HIV, or are otherwise vulnerable. Weekly, about 16 caregivers come to receive a tin of formula and some clothing. In return, they are expected to contribute K1000 (0.20USD) to the program. This contribution, while small, is to make the program seem less like a hand-out and more like something that people can feel a part of.

After the feeding clinic, we met up with Sister Peggy. Although I'm not sure, I think that she was in charge of the nursery. She introduced us to the staff and a handful of the many children. We walked with her into the playground and suddenly I felt a little tug on one of my fingers. I looked down to see a tiny child holding onto it, walking alongside me. Then another child on another finger! Suddenly, I had no fingers to spare and kids were holding onto my palms, my wrists, my arms. It was the funniest thing, waddling across the playground, at least twenty (if not more) kids attached to every bit of my arms.

Before long, we had to shake free of the kids so that they could go to class. The classes were these round huts sitting on concrete slabs. We were to teach a brief lesson on handwashing to the youngest children. As I ducked down and stepped into the hut, I squinted to see what was inside. My eyes adjusted and I saw some fifty other sets of eyes looking back in a big circle around the hut. Esther and I walked into the centre and a teacher brought in a couple of basins of water. We had a great time teaching while the teachers translated and then invited the kids, ten at a time, to squat down with us and practice washing their hands. It was super fun and we awarded each one of them with a sticker.

And then we were done! It passed by so quickly. Sister Peggy invited us to her house for water and we took some time to chat with her. It is a pretty great program that they are running and we were happy to be a part of it.

3 comments:

  1. Awesomeness!! My heart strings tug when you mention orphaned children... I want to help, I want to be there, I want a child!
    Awwwwwwwwwwww

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL, JOEL'S MUM

      SYLVIA'S GRAMMA

      Delete
  2. Classes on Handwashing, so basic, but I guess if you don't have mom or dad to show you it is something you'd have to learn in a class.
    Aww, poor orphans!

    ReplyDelete